Lagniappe Literature

maryeve
161

The Lost Heiress (Ladies of the Manor)
Roseanna M. White
Progress: 391/448 minutes
, , , , ,
Clean Sweep ARC Challenhe

Needs More Stardust!!

The Paper Magician - Charlie N. Holmberg

Hm. Neat story. Cute. The characters? Not too bad. As for the protagonist, Ceony Twill, the reader doesn't learn much about her. One only knows as much as the story allows. In other words, Ceony is not really a deep character. We only know the here-and-now of her. The focus is more on the paper magician, Emery Thane, and his past involvements. The book is, afterall, The Paper Magician, but I would have liked to know more about Ceony Twill.

Graduating at the top of her class from the Tagis Praff School for the Magically Inclined, Ceony is sent to tutor under the watchful, twinkling green eyes of Mg. Thane. Not exactly happy with the circumstances that have led her here, Ceony decides to make the most of her studies. She does find Mg. Thane to be unusually interesting and there is a sudden attraction Ceony is unable to deny. Let the paper folding begin!

Listen, it's an imaginative story but a bit like bubblegum. Sweet at first and quickly loses it's flavor. Let me be clear. This is YA. Me? I'm not so YA. I'm more like the middle ages so perhaps this adorable tale was a bit lost on me, a tad too YA. I don't often read YA because as I've said before, YA ages me. However, it does have it's brilliant, clever moments and obviously the YA crowd is loving it. The reviews seem to be favorable. I just got rather bored and some of the story seemed to drag a bit and other moments were so confusing, with very little explanation. Then again, it's a book about magic and as is the case with magic, it's fun to watch but very puzzling. I have a DRC of The Glass Magician but I am undecided whether I will venture further into this series. Unless, of course, something magical happens to change my mind.

*Received a digital review copy from NetGalley in exchange for a review.