Lagniappe Literature

maryeve
161

The Lost Heiress (Ladies of the Manor)
Roseanna M. White
Progress: 391/448 minutes
, , , , ,
Clean Sweep ARC Challenhe

Reading progress update: I've read 15%.

The Butterfly and the Violin (Hidden Masterpiece, #1) - Kristy Cambron

I'm already having a problem with this lovely book. 15% is not enough time to fairly critique a story BUT...I feel as if I'm reading two very different authors, one being mature and serious,  the other just another chick-lit writer, writing the same old stuff. Blah blah blah. The Butterfly and the Violin takes place in the present and the past. Austria, 1942, is where the blonde, blue-eyed Adele lives. She is a well known violinist and her father is an officer of the Third Reich. Yes! That Third Reich. The story that resides here grabbed me right away. It's a strong, powerful story with meaning. I can feel it, ya know. On the other hand, the portion that takes place in present-day Manhattan (and now sunny California), with Sera as the protagonist, is about as predictable as they come.  How can the author write so well in one section and completely different in the other?  When I notice myself doing lots of eye rolling,  well, I know I've got a problem.  So, it's a good thing that this book is written in past/present.  If I had to rely on Sera's story only, this would NOT be a tale for me. To be fair, I don't normally drop a book until I reach the 30% mark. I feel that's just enough time to call it quits. However, if I'm reviewing a book that was given to me specifically for review then I must soldier on. Adele's story in Austria might be just enough to see me through to the end.