Lagniappe Literature

maryeve
160

The Lost Heiress (Ladies of the Manor)
Roseanna M. White
Progress: 391/448 minutes
, , , , ,
Clean Sweep ARC Challenhe

At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen

At the Water's Edge: A Novel - Sara Gruen

Probably rate this book more like a three and a half. (When are ya'll going to offer the half star rating, Goodreads?) Ok. So, what did I think about this book? Well, for starters, the characters were beyond shallow. I mean, I know that was the point in the beginning but there's no way I was able to believe that Maddie, the heroine, changed so easily. Maddie grew up accustomed to wealth, partying, and looking down her nose at people. Maddie, Ellis, her husband, and their friend, Hank have been inseperable for years. I'm to believe that in a matter of weeks feelings between all changed so drastically? No. I couldn't. I dunno. Just had a problem liking the characters, even after Maddie has her big supposed epiphany of compassion. I liked the idea of the book better than the actual story. Some parts just dragged on and on. I read this book at a really slow pace. When I first began, I had issues and I set the book aside. When I returned to it, I started from the beginning with greater interest. I liked it. Liked it a lot. Then, half way through, just blah. It was like enjoying a sparkler; fun when it's first lit and then just kind of fizzles out until the end. Perhaps I should have read more of the book in one sitting. Liked it. Some chapters I really liked. Overall, didn't excite me.

Received this book from NetGalley in exchange for review. #thankspublishers