Lagniappe Literature

maryeve
161

The Lost Heiress (Ladies of the Manor)
Roseanna M. White
Progress: 391/448 minutes
, , , , ,
Clean Sweep ARC Challenhe

The Things We Keep by Sally Hepworth

The Things We Keep - Sally Hepworth

Love is a powerful thing, isn't it? It can make you absolutely ecstatic or utterly miserable. Love can bring out the best in us and the very worst. It's hard to watch a loved one decline rapidly and be powerless to help. It's hard to watch them suffer. We seek ways to make ourselves feel better during this difficult process, doing things for our beloved that we think is best, when really it's just what's best for us. Letting go is the most painful aspect of love. Some of us choose to let go. Others have little choice. In the end, and there is always an end, we are allowed our memories. Whatever they may be. But, what happens to love when memories fade?

This is a tale of several different  types of love one may experience and the steps taken to protect and preserve those we keep closest to our hearts. It's a heartbreaking story, told from three perspectives. One of the main protags has early onset Alzheimer's and the story mostly centers around her, Anna. There's enough humor to balance out the drama, which makes this book a solid read. Definitely a keeper!

**I won a copy of this book through a Goodreads giveaway.