Lagniappe Literature

maryeve
161

The Lost Heiress (Ladies of the Manor)
Roseanna M. White
Progress: 391/448 minutes
, , , , ,
Clean Sweep ARC Challenhe

Reading progress update: I've read 55 out of 558 pages.

Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital - Sheri Fink

Kind of disappointed with my reading progress here. I thought I would storm through this book like a bolt of lightning. I love reading books about my home state and I try to support local authors. Several years ago, I started collecting books involving Louisiana and those stories by local authors I enjoyed. Biography, lots of history, fiction, mystery. Whatever! If it was about Louisiana and it caught my eye, I was buying it. I've got a nice chunk of bookshelf dedicated to all things Cajun, with New Orleans being front and center. About three years ago I read and reviewed Nine Lives: Mystery, Magic, Death, and Life in New Orleans by Dan Baum. My review can be found here:

I really crushed on this book for the longest time. It was so powerful a read to me and had such a pull that I had scheduled a weekend trip to New Orleans shortly after completing the story. So, I was hoping this book would have a similar effect. Not yet. I'm having a hard time even connecting. The subject matter is difficult, Hurricane Katrina and innocent casualties of the storm's fury. I already know the details. If you're a Louisianian, you'd have to be living under a rock not to have heard of events at Memorial. I hate to even knock books like this, those that tell of tragic circumstances. In all fairness, I'm only on page fifty-five. I guess I just expected the story to pull me in immediately, as Nine Lives had. I'm going to be a patient reader. Good things come to those who wait.

Hell at Memorial, days after Hurricane Katrina

Evacuations at Memorial Hospital. Who goes first? Staff is forced to make heartbreaking decisions.