Lagniappe Literature

maryeve
160

The Lost Heiress (Ladies of the Manor)
Roseanna M. White
Progress: 391/448 minutes
, , , , ,
Clean Sweep ARC Challenhe

Alaina Claiborne by MK McClintock

Alaina Claiborne - M.K. McClintock

After being offered an opportunity to listen to Alaina Claiborne on Audible, I jumped at the chance. MK McClintock has been on my radar ever since discovering her British Agent series on Goodreads. I recently won a copy of another McClintock title, CLAYTON'S HONOR, but have not read it yet. I was happy to start here. The synopsis to all of her books sound so appealing and my love for historical fiction drew me in. So now that I've finished my listen, what did I think? Wow! The beginning is immediately powerful and starts with a bang. Alaina is a young girl enjoying her youth, beloved by her wonderful parents and all is well with the world. In an instant, that secure world will vanish right before the young girl's horrified eyes. I was a rapt listener, my attention completely focused. Nicky Baker has a beautiful voice and does a fine narrative. Each character that she portrayed was easily distinguished. Lovely narration. Alaina's story is a blend of historical fiction, mystery, and romance. While a bit predictable, it's a pleasant listen. I would've liked a bit more depth to the mystery and it often times felt rather rushed. I was a tiny bit irritated that Alaina was kidnapped one too many times, right under the nose of those protecting her, and McClintock never chose to explain certain how's and why's. I would've liked to know more about some of the characters. For instance, the beginning introduces the reader to a big meanie villain. He's downright detestable and then, afterwards, he makes a few appearances and very little is mentioned of him again. Perhaps McClintock plans to restore this baddie in future books. Whatever. He's a great villain and someone I'll love to hate. Every story needs one, right? Overall, a decent listen with likeable characters.

MK McClintock is the award-winning author of several books and short stories, including the popular "Montana Gallagher" series and highly-acclaimed "British Agent" novels. She spins tales of romance, adventure, and mystery set in the 1800s. With her heart deeply rooted in the past and her mind always on adventure, she lives a quiet life in the Rocky Mountains.

Learn more about MK by visiting her website: http://www.mkmcclintock.com.

**I was provided an Audible copy by the author. Many thanks.

__________________________________