Lagniappe Literature

maryeve
161

The Lost Heiress (Ladies of the Manor)
Roseanna M. White
Progress: 391/448 minutes
, , , , ,
Clean Sweep ARC Challenhe

Life of Pi

Life of Pi - Yann Martel I haven't seen the movie yet because I prefer to read the book first. I like to know the COMPLETE story before I watch the condensed version on screen. I usually prefer the book version better and I did enjoy this book. It started off a little slow but it is imperative that the reader learn the turn of events that leave Pi stranded in a lifeboat with a 450-pound Bengal tiger.
Once I got through the first few chapters, this unbelievable tale of survival, loss and strong faith was easy to read and hard to put down. I don't want to give away a whole lot so I will say only a few words about this engrossing yarn.
The story, told through the descriptive eyes of the main charachter, Pi, is often grusome and gut wrenching but at times quite humorous. Pi is a very likeable 16 year old boy from India and I really felt as if I were there in the boat with him as he spent many harrowing days and nights determined to survive his ordeal in a vast, lonely ocean. I could feel his continuous hunger and thirst. I could easily imagine the heat of the day and the chill of the night. Pi has only himself and his religious faith to sustain him day after day as he wonders if he can make it to land before being consumed by the elements, the ocean or the ferocious tiger. The ending? Well, you decide.