Lagniappe Literature

maryeve
160

The Lost Heiress (Ladies of the Manor)
Roseanna M. White
Progress: 391/448 minutes
, , , , ,
Clean Sweep ARC Challenhe

I'VE GOT A MAD CRUSH ON A.J. FIKRY!!

Mary's review
Jun 29, 2014

bookshelves: book-clubcontemporary2014-book-challengemy-next-5
Recommended for: FICTION FOR EVERYONE
Read from June 22 to 29, 2014

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry

2014/Gabrielle Zevin

How do I convince you, dear reader, to read this lovely book? You just have to. I LOVED it!! Why wouldn't I? It's about BOOKS and a BOOKSTORE on Alice Island. The characters are interesting and genuine, each with their own story to tell. The bookstore is owned by A.J. Fikry, a hollow, heartbroken, book-snobbish, abrasive man. With a bit of polishing, he will grow on you. Give him a chance. Island Books is A.J.'s world and the books are his life. He knows each book on each shelf, even if he doesn't like some of them that much. The books he doesn't care for are only there for customers with completely different tastes than his. He knows what he likes. Short stories. Indie-style literary fiction is his preference and he doesn't care for the opinions of others. Especially the opinions of the new, eccentric Knightly Press sales rep, Amelia. What does she know? A.J. doesn't like change but change is coming to Island Books in the form of a little girl named Maya and Fikry will be forced to reconsider his choices in books and life. Books have a magical way of bringing happiness, heartbreak, mystery and so much more to some of us. Those that are lonely can find great comfort in a book. Those that seek adventure can travel to places unknown. Island Books sounds like the sort of bookstore I could spend hours in and like me, there are those that walk through the doors of A.J. Fikry's world of shelves and fragranced books, seeking stories of their own and most will complete Fikry's chapters. Ah! The scent of one of the most wonderful smells on the planet, a great book!

"Turns out I really like bookstores. You know, I meet a lot of people in my line of work. A lot of folks pass through Alice Island, especially in the summer. I've seen movie people and newspeople, too.There ain't nobody like book people. It's a business of gentlemen and gentlewomen."  -Lambiase, from The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/15852313-mary?shelf=read