Lagniappe Literature

maryeve
160

The Lost Heiress (Ladies of the Manor)
Roseanna M. White
Progress: 391/448 minutes
, , , , ,
Clean Sweep ARC Challenhe

-My Weekend of FUN!!-

Recently, I went to visit my aunt and uncle in LaPorte, Texas, with my mother and little sister, Lauren. What fun we had!! First, we headed to Kemah to watch the fireworks but they were no longer doing them on Thursday nights. Only Friday nights. Moving on, we walked along the Kemah Boardwalk, watching the sailboats, feeding the catfish a measley .25 cents worth of catfood, (they will starve!!) briefly listening to the live band, (pretty good) and then eating a decent meal. (I had coconut shrimp.) Afterwards, we headed back towards LaPorte and on a whim, decided to ride down by the bay at Sylvan Beach. It was closing and we almost found ourselves locked in for the night. FYI: LaPorte closes about 10:00 p.m. and I guess that's why it's considered a pretty safe community. Unless, of course, one is riding around the bay area on a whim trying to get oneself locked inside the park gates at Sylvan Beach. Don't do that! Friday was spent in every antique shop on Main Street in LaPorte. My aunt said there was NOTHING to see in LaPorte but I beg to differ and I think she may have changed her mind, too. Oddly enough, the Cajuns from Louisiana took the LaPorte homemaker on a tour of her own quaint town. She enjoyed herself. So did we all. We hurried home to rest a bit because my sister and I had tickets for the Boston Red Sox versus the Houston Astros at Minute Maid Park. Go Sox!! Boy! Did they go!! The final score was 8-3 in favor of Boston. Astro fans do not get very excited at their home games. I can assure you, if Louisiana had their own pro baseball team we would be just as nuts over them as we are over our Saints (GO SAINTS!!) and our Tigers. (GO LSU!!) By the way, I am a football FANatic!! But that's another story altogether. Ok. Point of story coming up. Saturday morning found us ONCE AGAIN on Main Street and back in the antique stores that we missed on Friday. We rummaged through everything in every store and I picked up quite a few nice goodies. I'm glad I was on a budget because I could have spent a small fortune. You see, antiques are a passion for the women of my family. If we combined all of our treasures together we would be able to have our own antique store. Possibly our own antique mall. Now, here's the exciting part, for me at least. In the last store, I found several shelves of old books. Guess what I found...a 1969 First Edition copy of <i>The House on the Strand</i> by Daphne du Maurier. It isn't in perfect condition but it's in good condition and that's perfect enough for me. I turned the book over looking for a price and then began thumbing through the pages. Lo and behold! What was placed between the pages, long enough to leave a yellowed outline? It was an obituary of sorts for Daphne du Maurier clipped from the <i>Houston Post</i> and dated April 20, 1989. (du Maurier died the day before on April 19th.) I closed the book and cautiously looked around. I hurried to the counter, feeling like a thief, to enquire of the price. I hoped the clerk would not find the clipping and claim it for herself. Once again? She examined the book, briefly flipping the pages. She shrugged nonchalantly and handed the book to me. "$1.00", she said. One whole dollar!! Secretly, I was jumping up and down. I was already in love with my new book and I hadn't even paid for it. I don't care what anyone thinks. I am a great big fan of du Maurier and apparently, someone else once was because they cared enough to buy the book and squirrel away an obit inside the pages. I was kind of pleased with myself and a bit excited. Like they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

*Some of you may recognize this from a similar post. Unfortunately, the blog gods decided my original work was not up to par and POOF! Just like that my original post vanished into the blog Netherworld never to be seen again. After a large temper tantrum that involved a teeny tiny amount of tears, (and those of you that take your time to create a clever blog post will understand.) here we are with a new revised edition. When I write or review, I work hard. Some days more than others but I really do try to write something vaguely entertaining. I liked my original post better but this chick has been reminded of a very valuable lesson that I thought I had already learned. Save. Your. Work. Even if my husband is my sole audience to share it with, my one true fan. (At least he says he is.)