Lagniappe Literature

maryeve
160

The Lost Heiress (Ladies of the Manor)
Roseanna M. White
Progress: 391/448 minutes
, , , , ,
Clean Sweep ARC Challenhe

Reading progress update: I've read 15%.

Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune - Paul Clark Newell Jr., Bill Dedman

This story of wealth and seclusion is absolutely fascinating. To be so wealthy!!

Huguette Clark was an American heiress to an American fortune, made from copper, railroads, and banking. Just to name a few. Her father, William Andrews Clark, left an estate estimated up to $250 million in 1925. Today, that estimate is worth $3.4 billion dollars. The mansions of Huguette Clark were plentiful, expanse, lovingly maintained, and contained priceless art collections. The heiress owned a Connecticut mansion named Le Beau Château, "the beautiful castle". In Santa Barbara, Huguette had a vacation estate named Bellosguardo, "beautiful lookout."  However, when she died in 2011, at the age of 105, she had not lived in any of these beautiful mansions or the Fifth Avenue luxury apartment building, consisting of forty-two rooms and fifteen thousand square feet, since March, 1991. Huguette Marcelle Clark, heiress and philanthropist, spent the last 20 years of her life as a recluse, living in a hospital, in excellent health, while her mansions remained empty. Why? I must know the answer and since I have begun reading this book I have devoured more information online than I have actually reading the book. I need to stop and just read the story but it's so fascinating. One sentence I read leads to more questions I have and as you well know, there is a plethora of info to be consumed on the web. I'm not kidding. Good stuff!! Amazing story. Now, let me get to it!