Lagniappe Literature

maryeve
160

The Lost Heiress (Ladies of the Manor)
Roseanna M. White
Progress: 391/448 minutes
, , , , ,
Clean Sweep ARC Challenhe

Blah blah Blah

Summer House with Swimming Pool (Thorndike Press Large Print Core Series) - Herman Koch

I would like to extend my thanks to Blogging for Books for giving me this opportunity to read Summer House with Swimming Pool.

This month, I am working my way down the list of My Next Five shelf and I am managing to stay on track, with a few unexpected books inbetween. My last attempt with that shelf was a bit confusing. Let's just say that that if it were not a virtual shelf, it would have been collapsible shelf. It changed frequently. You know how it goes, books unexpectedly arriving in the mail or the library finally calling with the book that's been on the wait-list forever. I did notice something about my next five. Three of the books on the list all had "Summer" in the title. This was not something I did consciously but it is a nice way to wrap up the last few days of summer. I wish I could say that SHWSP was all that I expected it to be. I am only 35% in so I am trying not to be too critical. However, once I reach Chapter 18 of any book, I am kind of hoping to have gotten to a point, a focus, something. So far, NOTHING! The protagonist has done little to encourage me otherwise. Matter of fact, I can't even remember the protagonist's name. He's a general practitioner and he has done nothing but complain, babble about nothing, and make crude comparisons and unremarkable observations about his patients. Who cares? Get on with it already! Something IS about to happen and it begins when I add this book to another shelf I have called Dropped in the Tub and Never Finished. (More about that some other time.) That being said, I am one of those readers that usually has to finish the books I've started, regardless how bad a book may be. On a positive note, (and because I always try to find a positive) I am assuming that once I reach 50% this story may pick up. Afterall, something must be great about Summer House with Swimming Pool. I found this book on a 2014 Movers and Shakers list. We shall see.